What Is BroadBand Light (BBL) Therapy and How Does It Work?
BBL™ (also referred to as BroadBand Light Therapy) is an advanced phototherapy treatment that uses light and heat to rejuvenate the skin. Widely considered the most advanced IPL treatment available, BBL™ can make your skin look clearer, smoother, and younger with regular treatments.
Learn more about BBL™ and how it works with Skin Technique!
Our Experience with BroadBand Light Therapy
While the typical procedure time varies depending on treatment sites, Dr. Christopher Pavlou’s steps to ensure the best results are the same.
For over ten years, Dr. Christopher Pavlou’s global approach combines the latest innovations in aesthetic medicine with tried and tested reliable methods to achieve a naturally rejuvenated appearance. Dr. Pavlou has extensive training in performing BroadBand Light treatments with the BBL™ device, so with the Skin Technique team’s support, you know you’re in the right hands.
What Is BroadBand Light Therapy (aka BBL™)?
BBL™ is a cutting-edge treatment that uses powerful light energy to rejuvenate the skin. This treatment harnesses the power of broad-spectrum light, which can penetrate deep into the skin and stimulate new collagen production.
By targeting damaged cells and encouraging the growth of healthy tissues, BBL™ therapy can help to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles, tighten loose skin, and reduce the appearance of age spots, sun damage, and other signs of aging.
Because of the high light intensity, the broad range of light waves, and the ability to garner more energy, you will enjoy a faster, more precise treatment.
How Does BroadBand Light Therapy Work?
After your initial consultation with the Skin Technique team, a treatment plan will be created to address your specific concerns. During BroadBand Light Therapy, your skin will be cleansed, you will be given eye protection, and a clear gel will be applied to the treatment area.
Once your skin is prepped, a series of passes will be performed over the skin of the treatment area with the BBL™ device, which flashes light to the skin. The light then penetrates your skin, damaging pigment, blood vessels, and tissue.
Your body’s natural healing response and collagen production will then kick in to repair the damage and reduce the appearance of your skin concerns.
BroadBand Light Therapy is often preferred over some laser treatments as it uses a broader spectrum of light that can be filtered to treat various skin conditions and covers a larger area of skin than a laser can. After your treatment, the skin will be cooled down, and sunscreen will be applied.
What Can BroadBand Light Therapy Treat?
Not only is this treatment incredibly quick, making it a perfect choice for anyone looking to restore their youthful glow without surgery or invasive procedures, but a BBL™ device can also help with a myriad of concerns, including:
- Acne. Forever Clear BBL™ is a treatment that uses pulsed light to target and eliminate acne-causing bacteria while stimulating the production of new collagen and elastin.
- Age Spots. The Forever Young BBL™ device is used in a broadband laser treatment at our Vancouver clinic that is the only device on the market that has been shown to change the expression of genes associated with aging, longevity, and increased lifespan.
- Aging Skin. Regular Forever Young BBL™ device treatments make your skin look clearer, smoother, and much younger.
- Hyperpigmentation. Along with treating skin concerns associated with aging and acne, the Forever Young BBL™ device treatment utilizes light penetrating the skin deep enough to eliminate hyperpigmentation.
- Rosacea. The Forever Young BBL™ device treatment can also help reduce the look of rosacea, as it is a form of hyperpigmentation that is deeper in your blood vessels, which the light penetrates so the body can heal itself.
- Sun Damage. Sun damage can occur over time due to prolonged sun exposure and the natural aging of the skin. Forever Young BBL™’s collagen-boosting device properties and ability to reduce the look of hyperpigmentation and brown spots will address any sun damage concerns you have.
- Unwanted Hair. The Forever Bare BBL™ device from Sciton is a revolutionary technology in laser hair removal. Known as one of the best laser hair removal techniques, let us help you remove problematic hair forever.
- Wrinkles. BBL™ has been shown to change the expression of genes associated with aging, longevity, and increased lifespan. With regular BBL™ treatments, your skin will look clearer, smoother, and much younger – and your wrinkles will reduce in appearance.
Is BroadBand Light Therapy Effective?
Yes! After undergoing your BBL™ treatment, you will experience minor redness and irritation, which is a small price to pay when you see your stunning results within one week. BroadBand Light Therapy is extremely effective in treating many skin concerns and, with regular maintenance appointments, allows you to enjoy long-term smooth, youthful skin.
Benefits of BroadBand Light Therapy
Not only is this treatment incredibly quick, making it a perfect choice for anyone looking to restore their youthful glow without surgery or invasive procedures, but BBL™ can also help with the following:
- Age and sunspots. These brownish spots typically appear on the hands, body, and face due to aging and prolonged sun exposure.
- Small facial veins. The BroadBand Light Therapy device helps make your skin appear smooth and flawless, even reducing the look of the smallest facial veins.
- Freckles and age spots. If you’re insecure about freckles or age spots, a BroadBand Light Therapy device can reduce the pigment in the skin to even out your complexion.
- Redness. Whether it’s from rosacea or hyperpigmentation, this treatment is extremely effective in improving skin tone.
- Small blood vessels and rosacea. Blood vessels and rosacea, predominantly seen in the cheeks, can cause hyperpigmentation concerns that a BBL™ Therapy device can treat.
- Acne. No matter your age, you can always struggle with acne and the bacteria associated with it – thankfully, a BroadBand Light Therapy device can effectively get rid of both.
- Aging Skin. While improving your skin tone, BBL™ Therapy also reduces the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Loss of firmness. As your skin’s healing response is activated, so is its collagen production – making your skin smoother, firmer, and more youthful-looking.
Risks of BroadBand Light Therapy
While most people experience little to no side effects from the treatment, there is a small risk of developing adverse reactions. Dr. Christopher Pavlou and his team have been performing BBL™ treatments for years, and the risk of a significant complication is extremely low. After your treatment, you may experience mild irritation, redness, and blistering, especially if you are being treated for hyperpigmentation.
In rare cases, bruising, scabbing, and uneven skin tone can also occur.
BroadBand Light Treatment Results
For patients with pigmented skin, the treatment will cause their skin to darken and flake off over the next one or two weeks as it heals. Expect the results of the treatment to appear within one week. Your BBL™ device will last indefinitely with regular treatments. After your initial treatments, you should book at least one to two appointments a year for maintenance.
BroadBand Light Treatment Before & After
BroadBand Light Treatment FAQs
If you have more questions than the ones listed below, schedule a treatment or learn more by contacting us.
Is BroadBand Light Therapy Safe?
Unlike most laser treatments, BroadBand Light Therapy uses light to treat skin concerns without removing the skin’s surface. All risks are extremely rare.
Are BroadBand Light Therapy Results Permanent?
Although the results of BroadBand Light Therapy are not permanent, they can last for four months or longer if you attend regular maintenance treatments.
How Many Sessions of BroadBand Light Therapy Do I Need?
One treatment will provide you with extremely effective results, but a series of BroadBand Light Device Treatments are usually recommended, performed in three to four-week intervals depending on the area of concern.
How Often Should I Have BroadBand Light Treatments?
If you have one to two BroadBand Light Treatments, your results will last a few months. However, if you receive three treatments (or more) every year, you will enjoy smooth, youthful, and evenly pigmented skin for as long as you’d like.
Book a BroadBand Light Therapy Consultation
Our experienced team of skin experts are committed to your comfort and safety throughout every step of the BroadBand Light Therapy process, utilizing only the latest technology and techniques. With Skin Technique by your side, you can enjoy beautiful, glowing skin that helps keep you looking and feeling forever young. Book your consultation today!